Saturday, September 26, 2015

My Connections to Play

     


Great quote on why creativity in the classroom is so important!:  8 inspiring quotes about children and the importance of play from And Next Comes L

My parents were always very supportive of my play and would encourage me to explore anything that I thought was possible.  They were always willing to play with me and would keep my imagination alive. I feel like play is much different now than it was when I was a child because of the amount of technology that is used.  It is interesting for me to see little one and two year old children being obsessed with phones and iPads.  It seems like young children would much rather spend their time watching television or playing with different types of technology, instead of playing outside or with toys.  When I was young, my siblings and I would spend a lot of time playing outside with our neighbors.  This is something I never see in my neighborhood anymore.  I have young relatives who have an iPhone and they spend all of their time on the phone.  They never seem to read any books and when their friends are with them they mostly just play on their phones.  When I was young, my friends and I would love to pretend play "school" and "house" and could spend all of our time with imaginative play.  I also enjoyed playing with my siblings and we would all pretend play with our kitchen and dolls. Play is still a part of me today.  Play is crucial for healthy development and is something that I will always support.



2 comments:

  1. Hi Linzie
    Technology has taken over as a replacement for play. I am amazed how children as young as two years old can play different games on the computer and iPad. I am so fortunate that technology was not prevalent when I was growing up. We looked at TV, but the time was limited. The only other technical device that we had was a record player and radio. These devices were good because we used them to listen to music while we danced. Parents can control the amount of time that children are using technological devices. My mother made us go outside and play and we enjoyed it every day. I had five sisters and one brother so there was always play going on. We played house, doctor, and going to the supermarket to name a few.

    Anita Marve

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linzie,

    My parents were the same way. They were always encouraging my sister and I to be engaged in some sort of play. We were always outside doing something. Whether it was riding our bikes, kicking a ball around, swimming, or playing with the neighborhood kids. We enjoyed playing and my parents were always huge encouragers. I am extremely thankful for that as I see just how important it is for a child to engage in play.

    Kayla

    ReplyDelete